Tuesday 11 March 2014

Top Ten Tuesday - Favourite Books

Share it Please

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish. It looks really fun so I thought why not give it a go. This week is Top Ten Tuesday was "favourite books in X genere" but since I'm not really a genere reader I just modified it into "Favourite Books". So, here you go, in no particular order:

1. "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt
I'm going to see Donna Tartt next week wheeee!! I'm so excited! This book is ~800 pages thick and spans about 15? years of Theo Deckers life which is filled with tragedy that returns back to Theo every few years.


2. "The Time Traveller's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger
Another pretty thick one. It's alternatingly written from the standpoint of Claire and Henry DeTamble so that you can get two points of view of one event. Anyway, when I finished I started crying outrageously in the middle of the classroom and my teacher even came to ask me if everything is alright.

They named an actual street after that book
3. The Ocean at the End of the Lane" by Neil Gaiman
 This one is pretty thin but nonetheless filled with magic and wonder. I loved "Neverwhere" too but I wanted to limit it to one book per author.


4. "A Study in Scarlet" by Arthur Conan Doyle
Who doesn't love the brilliant genius Sherlock Holmes who solves seemingly inexplicable crimes? And in this book, everything is still fresh, and you can feel the beautiful feeling of starting a great series. 

5. "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell
If you've read this epic novel spanning from the 1800s to a far, far away future and telling the stories of 5 heroes still entagled despite of time and the distance between them you know what I'm talking about.

6. "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Brontë
No I don't love this book because it's Bella's favourite. The setting is nice, the moors of England, and it's so well written that you can actually see the landscape before you, smell the grass in the spring. I generally like books set in the 1700-1800s in England and this book has just the right faint air of mystery about it.

7. "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown
Fat, fast paced and incredibly excited, a great mix of science and religion that is so suspensefull that I sometimes just wanted to throw the book away but couldn't even cose it.

8. "The Garden of Evening Mists" by Tan Twan Eng
This book is set in the Malayan highland, partly during the Japanese occupation of Malaya and in independant Malaysia. It's a great story in a great setting, it tells about gardening and stories of the war. I don't know, I somehow like reading war stories, they're really thrilling.

9. "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" by Haruki Murakami
Strangely surreal and yet enchanting. I just can't figure this book out. It's really really weird but it has something to it. Especially the 3rd part is written in more unconventional style (newspaper, storytelling, chats, letters...) I should read it again. And it also has a part war story (a really grusome one too) so yeah.


Also, there's a beautiful JE movie with Michael Fassbender
10. "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Brontë
 I said no particular order but I left the best for last. I love this book, I've read it multiple times in multiple languages and it just doesn't get boring for me. I love how Jane is a strong, independent woman who thinks about what is best for her and what she wants rather than what people want of her. I just love everything about it.


I really love fat books.
What's your favourite book of all time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Follow The Author